My open water swim training went very well indeed! I was told that for the past 20yrs I have been swimming with half a full swim stoke, so with some advice and guidance from Andy, I was soon gliding and travelling further with every pull – an impressive nd pleasing result from an hour in the water with the Maestro!
Andy also suggested closing my hand a little more, and pulling down whilst in the stroke, so many thanks to him for some great advice.
At the weekend I completed my 2nd triathlon of 2012 and am proud of my achievement.
It was a 400m open water swim, mass start. I was out of my ideal positin and didn’t think this would be an issue until I got a few kicks in the face, drank some lake water, paddled around a bit to get my senses and breathing back and took my time. It was frustrating as the slower swimmers slowed my pace and made my life more difficult than I w making it for myself. I was also in a pack and found it hard to move away into my own space. This as a lesson in what to do and what not to do, so lessons have been learnt.
I got out of the water after 11mins, so not too slow, but not fast either! 😉
Next to the bike! For the past few weeks I have been off the road after seeing a local rider badly hurt on the road. I stopped to help the guy and saw his injuries close up and at first hand – truly gruesome and out me off my bike for a while.
I have been on my bike on a turbo, turning the pedals and sweating a lot, hitting and exceeding the triathlon distance. Getting onto the bike on Saturday I was nervous, but felt good after the swim and knew I was in a good place for the 20km cycle.
I cained the bike leg in 39mins, 17seconds, averaging 81 revs a min on the pedals, with a max of 101, so almost the perfect leg for me at this time in my triathlon career.
The run was painful, hard work and I was pretty tired after the bike which was my big focus for the day, it took me 19mins and I was dead on my feet (3.5km). I hate running as I am just too big for it, but I did enjoy the finish line.
Overall time was 1hr, 14mins and 47 seconds……….I beat my personal trainer by close to 2 mins!
His bike time was 34 seconds quicker than mine………it was a long, tough day, but fantastic.
Jeremy my PT enjoyed himself and I think we will do other events next year !
- I learnt that I love open water swimming on the lake!
- I’m not keen on drinking the water!
- Gettung kicked in the face as an adult, unexpectedly, whilst in cold, murky water isn’t the most pleasant thing to happen to a person at 0842hrs on a Sunday, but neither is it the worst!
- Swimming with a full length arm stroke really helps.
- If I can loose more weight (an massive overall goal)…..my biking will get faster and I am keen to get into time trialling and to have a go, maybe get an old TT bike and see where I can get
- I am keen to drop more weight so I can run further, faster and more efficiently….I am determined to sort this out.
- Many more triathlons to come!?
- I really want to train for a 113 / Half Ironman, which is a year away…..I reckon if I could crack the run, work on the swim, loose more weight this could be feasible…..a long shot, a pipe dream, but somehow, in my mad mind, almost possible!
……….forever positive and currently still on my ‘Tri-High’ !!